According to our Israeli road atlas, Route 899 runs from the sea along the Lebanese border to the town of Sasa, and along the way passes an “archaeological ruin” called Iqrit.
Iqrit’s only remaining permanent structure is the old stone church
The three-dot symbol on the map is one of hundreds of such locations throughout this historically rich land – but this is no biblical or Roman-era relic.
Iqrit was an Arab Christian village vacated during the 1948-49 war, one of hundreds of villages in the former Palestine whose populations either went into exile or, as in the Iqritis’ case, into internal displacement in the new Israeli state.
While traces of many of these deserted villages have all but disappeared, the sparsely wooded hilltop of Iqrit – against all odds – continues to play host to its former inhabitants and their children and grandchildren.